TERMS AND CONDITIONS
SECOND BIENNIAL OF ILLUSTRATION
PICTOLINE MEDIA SAPI DE CV (hereinafter also referred to as "PICTOLINE") with address in Av. Parque Lira No.61 Piso 2, Colonia San Miguel Chapultepec, Miguel Hidalgo Delegation, C.P. 11850 Mexico City, Mexico organizes the SECOND BIENNIAL OF ILLUSTRATION; contest in which the best illustrators from Latin American countries will be awarded at the moment in accordance with the following Terms and Conditions.
- Terms and Conditions
- Selection of winners
- Affiliated brands and sponsors
- Rules of interpretation and meanings
- General provisions
- Protection of personal data
- On intellectual property
- Acceptance of the Terms and Conditions
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Competition will start on April 1st, 2020 and will conclude in September 2020. The Biennial of Illustration is open to native authors of Latin American countries (Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Uruguay and Venezuela), no matter where they reside, or foreign residents with a minimum stay of three years in any of these countries. They must be of legal age (+18) at the time of registration. Illustrators actively working at Pictoline, first degree relatives of the jurors or first degree relatives related to PICTOLINE MEDIA SAPI of C.V, are not allowed to participate.
Modalities: Contestants may register from April 1st , 2020 through the website bienaldeilustracion.com to participate in one of the following categories: Physical or Virtual.
In both categories the Works must be original and individual. Therefore collaborative or collective Works may not participate. The Works can be disclosed, unpublished or published provided that they are owned by the Contestant.
Only Works made between March 2018 and May 2020, that were not finalists or winners in another Contest of a similar nature, may participate.
Physical Category: Works in two-dimensional format such as pictorial Works, drawing Works, cartoons, comic books, applied artworks, and others that may be embossed or reproduced in flat format may participate.
Only images sent in JPG or PNG format in RGB with a resolution of 72 dpi to 20 cm on the longer side that does not exceed 2MB can be included for registration. For delivery the size of the Work must not exceed 120 centimeters (horizontal or vertical) nor be less than 20 centimeters (horizontal or vertical).
The selected Works must be delivered in their original format without alterations with respect to the image submitted to the Jury, framed Works may not be presented.
Virtual Category: Any Work that for its creation will use virtual elements, both in the production process and in the process of its exhibition, may participate. For example, GIF, interactive motion, 360º, augmented reality, animation, programming, among others of a similar nature. In the case of the Work being an app, the operating system or platform on which it runs must be specified.
To submit virtual Works to the Jury's consideration it is necessary to provide a URL showing the piece.
The selected Works must be delivered in their original format without alterations regarding the Work submitted to the Jury, and it must be delivered in the highest resolution possible according to the format presented.
In order to participate, the Contestant must register on the page bienaldeilustracion.com entering their full details from April 1st, 2020 at 12:00 and until May 7, 2020 at 23:59. (CT central time) thereafter the registration system will be permanently closed.
Contestants may participate under their pseudonym, but must enter their full name, as in accordance with these Terms and Conditions and the Privacy Notice available in bienaldeilustracion.com it will be kept under the strictest confidentiality.
Only Latin American authors by birth or by naturalization who present the legal documentation that proves it and any current official identification that endorses him as a citizen of the country where he resides, may participate. Residents who present proof of temporary or permanent residence with a minimum legal stay of three years may also participate in any country mentioned above.
Contestants must be at least 18 years old at the time of registration, have a valid email account and an official document that is able to prove their nationality, citizenship, or identity.
At the time of participation, the contestants agree that in the event that their Work is selected as a winner, they must assign the economic rights of the same to access the prizes.
Contestants who present false, illegible or incomplete documentation to prove their nationality, citizenship, or identity will be disqualified. In addition, contestants who submit Works other than their authorship, derivative Works or interpretations, as well as all those that do not meet the specifications established for each of the categories, will automatically be disqualified.
The selection of the category in which the Contestant wishes to participate is DEFINITIVE, so contestants who attempt to register with the same data or with the same Work in both categories will be automatically disqualified.
Once registration is complete, a confirmation email will be sent. Contestants who are selected as finalists will be notified by the same means.
After the deliberation of the Jury, the following prizes and recognitions will be awarded:
An economic prize of $4,500.00 USD (four thousand five hundred US dollars or the equivalent of $115,000.00 Mexican pesos), minus Mexican taxes, to the Contestant selected winner by the Jury in the Physical Category.
An economic prize of $4,500.00 USD (four thousand five hundred U.S. dollars or the equivalent of $115,000.00 Mexican pesos), minus Mexican taxes, to the Contestant selected winner by the Jury in the Virtual Category.
An economic prize of $1,000.00 USD (thousand U.S. dollars or equivalent to $25,000.00 Mexican pesos), minus Mexican taxes, to the contestant selected by the Jury as Revelation Author.
A recognition to the outstanding Works of the Finalists Contestants through Honorable Mention.
The selection of the winners is unappealable, the Jury will evaluate technique, concept and creativity to determine the winners of each of the prizes, the number of honorable mentions will be at the discretion of the Jury.
The award to the Revelation Author will be selected in accordance with the criteria set out in the previous paragraph and must be older than 18 years of age and younger than 25 years of age at the time of registration in order to be the Revelation Author of the Second Biennial of Illustration.
All the pieces selected as finalists, the award-winning Works of both categories and the Work of the Revelation Author will be part of the catalog of the Second Biennial of Illustration in Mexico, from which a printed version will be given to all the finalist contestants.
The Winning Works in both categories and the Revelation Work will be part of the PICTOLINE acquisitions so the authors of them must assign the economic rights of the winning Works. The proprietary rights we acquired is in order to share the image with the corresponding credit for a two year period without unlawful use or infringements. The assignment of the economical rights is unneeded as there will be no profit from PICTOLINE’S end.
In addition, some of the Works may be published in Mexican media, a situation that will be made known to the author who may oppose its publication in that medium.
Additional prizes may be given by the sponsors of the event, for which PICTOLINE MEDIA SAPI DE C.V., its subsidiaries and associates assume no responsibility.
If for any reason the winner of any of the prizes decides not to receive it, is unable to receive it and/or it is verified that the Work does not belong to him or her, the Jury will select another winner within the finalist Contestants and make public their decision.
Economic awards do not include taxes that apply under the current tax legislation.
The winners of all the awards will be unveiled in September 2020 at the awards cocktail and at the opening of the Second Biennial of Illustration to be held at the “Centro de Cultura Digital” (CCD), located in Paseo de Reforma s/n Esquina Liege, Col. Juárez, Del. Cuauhtémoc, 06600 Mexico City, Mexico.
SELECTION OF WINNERS
The Jury will be made up of renowned authors, managers, editors or curators specializing in the discipline whose trajectory and life’s work is available on the Website bienaldeilustracion.com
The selection of winners will be made in two stages:
First Stage: At the end of the registration period the Jury will make a selection of Works with valid registration that meet the specifications of these Terms and Conditions. From the selection, the Jury will determine the Works that will be part of the official selection, Works that they consider to stand out for their technique, concept and creativity; this selection will move on to the Second Stage.
Second Stage: Contestants will be able to check if their Work was selected through the site bienaldeilustracion.com from June 10, 2020, all Contestants selected in the First Stage and notified via email will receive instructions to deliver their Work in Mexico City. When all the Works selected in the First Stage are in Mexico City, the Jury will determine which are the Winning Contestants.
The winning contestants will be unveiled in September 2020 at the awards cocktail and at the opening of the Second Biennial of Illustration to be held at the “Centro de Cultura Digital” (CCD), located in Paseo de Reforma s/n Esquina Liege, Col. Juárez, Del. Cuauhtémoc, 06600 Mexico City, México.
The Works of the Finalist Contestants and the Winning Contestants will be exhibited between September and October 2020.
The costs and responsibility arising from packaging and transportation of the Works, both of shipping and/or collection are borne by the finalists contestants. In the event that the Work does not meet the specifications of the category to which it corresponds (physical or virtual) and/or is not delivered to the address indicated for its delivery in time and form, will be automatically disqualified.
Contestants who try to directly or indirectly influence the Jury's decision will automatically be disqualified, without prejudice to legal action that may be taken against them.
During the exhibition period, various activities will be carried out with the aim of generating dialogues about illustration between authors, editors, curators and creative directors. To see more you can visit the activities section in bienaldeilustracion.com
The “Centro de Cultura Digital” (CCD) is only the venue of the event, the organization of the Contest including the decision of the Jury are sole and exclusive responsibility of Pictoline Media SAPI of C.V.
The dates referred to in this section may vary by fortuitous event or “act of God”, as well as at the discretion of the Jury in the event of special deliberation. Any changes will be notified via the website and directly to the Finalist Contestants via email.
AFFILIATED BRANDS AND SPONSORS
To carry out the Contest, PICTOLINE may make various agreements with recognized brands and/or Various Sponsors or Affiliates that may have a presence in the Contest even as collaborators in the organization of the Contest. In this regard, the Contestants agree and acknowledge that the presence of such Brands and/or Sponsors or Affiliates in the Contest does not in any way mean an authorization for the use of their image or directly or indirectly link PICTOLINE's obligations with respect to the Contestant. The Contestant acknowledges that the relationship exists only between PICTOLINE and the Brand or Sponsor, so each Brand and Sponsor is responsible only with PICTOLINE and not with the Contestant.
None of the Brands, Sponsors and Affiliates shall have responsibility for the application of these Terms and Conditions, nor shall it interfere with the conduct of the Contest, being the solely responsible Pictoline Media SAPI of C.V.
RULES OF INTERPRETATION AND MEANINGS
For all purposes the terms defined in these Terms and Conditions shall have the meaning set out below:
- "Affiliate" means any natural or moral person other than PICTOLINE who directly or indirectly and through one or more intermediaries has a presence in the Contest, either as a Sponsor or as a Contributor within it.
- "Revelation Author" will be the author of a Contestant Work with valid registration that the Jury considers stands out for the characteristics of his or her career, his or her Works and his or her Work that meets the requirement of being between the ages of 18 and 25.
- "Government Authority" means any federal, state, or municipal authority; administrative or judicial sector, including secretariats, counseling, regulatory bodies, centralized and decentralized bodies, as well as any authority, unit or tribunal; and in general any other entity that exercises executive, legislative, judicial, tax, regulatory or administrative functions or acts of the government.
- "Privacy Notice" means the electronic notice found on the site bienaldeilustracion.com regarding the protection and handling of the personal information of the Contestants in accordance with the Federal Law on the Protection of Personal Data in Possession of Individuals.
- "cm" or "centimeters" shall refer specifically to the unit of measurement equivalent to one hundredth of a meter.
- "Contestant" shall be understood as the natural person who completes his registration on the Website in a correct, complete and valid manner in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
- "Assessment" means any royalty of security, right of priority, compensation, mortgage, charge, contract, trust, garnishment, right of way, restriction on the use of movable property, invasion and license to third parties, warranty agreement, or any other lien, restriction or limitation to actual or personal ownership or use or irregularities in the title thereof.
- "Applicable Taxes" means any tax burden on economic awards.
- "JPG", "PNG" and "RGB" are standardized formats for digital image storage, the above will be understood as the only valid formats accepted to participate in the Physical Category.
- "Applicable Law" means all regulatory codes, laws, ordinances, rules, mandates and regulations of any Governmental Authority applicable to these Terms and Conditions.
- "Trademarks" means trademarks related to the event registered with the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property.
- "MB" or "Megabyte" is a one-byte multiple, comprising the latter as an electronic storage unit.
- "Work" shall be understood as an original artistic and visual creation capable of being disclosed or reproduced in any form or medium and submitted to the Jury.
- "Person" means any natural person, moral person, partnership or trust.
- "Intellectual Property" means any or all rights arising out of or associated with: (i) patents,(ii)copyrights (including related rights and reserves of rights to exclusive use),(iii)trademarks,(iv)trade names, (v) industrial designs, (vi) industrial secrets, (vii)utility models,(viii)commercial notices, (ix)appellations of origin (x) layout designs of integrated circuits, (xi) reserves of rights to exclusive use, (xii)domain names, including registrations and applications for registration, defined as intellectual or industrial property under the Applicable Legislation in Mexico, and(xiii)rights of printed and virtual publication.
- "Third Party Claim" or "Claims" shall mean any action, appeal, demand, arbitration, investigation, procedure, request, levy, notice or notice of non-compliance, rulings, by any third party or Governmental Authority and to any Governmental Or Authority or arbitrator or direct, whether administrative, civil, criminal, regulatory, judicial or otherwise.
- "Valid Registration" shall only be understood to those registration records that comply with the provisions of these Terms and Conditions.
- "Responsibility" means the obligation to assume the consequences of a Claim.
- "Website" means the Website located within the domain bienaldeilustracion.com
Except to the extent that PICTOLINE MEDIA SAPI DE C.V. communicates it later, in writing and to the contrary, the following rules of interpretation shall be followed:
- Where reference is made to or relating to a particular paragraph, such reference is precisely a section of these Terms and Conditions;
- The index and the titles and headings in these Terms and Conditions are included solely for reference purposes, so in no way it affects the meaning or interpretation thereof;
- When words such as "includes", "include" or "including" are used, these shall be understood as followed by the words "without limitation";
- The words "of these Terms and Conditions", "in these Terms and Conditions", "in accordance with these Terms and Conditions", and other words of a similar nature, when used refer to all of these Terms and Conditions and not to a specific provision thereof;
- All defined terms shall have the meanings defined when used in any certificate or other document issued, granted or delivered under these Terms and Conditions, except where other terms are stated;
- The definitions contained in these Terms and Conditions apply to the singular and plural of such definitions;
- Each term that specifies gender and is used in these Terms and Conditions has a comparable meaning, regardless of whether it is used in male, female or neutral;
- When a word or phrase is defined in the present form, each of its other grammatical forms will have the corresponding meaning;
- References to a Person also include his successors and authorized assignees;
- Where reference is made to a period of days, it shall be understood in relation to the corresponding number of calendar days, unless expressly provided for as referring to Working Days;
The interpretation to be given to these Terms and Conditions in all their content is the same for each of those involved, and the content of the applicable legal provisions will be addressed to regulate any ambiguity or situation not raised in them.
Effect. These Terms and Conditions shall remain in effect until all prize deliveries become effective, without prejudice to the date on which the exhibition of the Works ends.
Expenses and Taxes. Expenses, taxes and fees to be covered in connection with the conclusion of the Contest will be covered by the applicable Person under applicable law.
Transfer. They may not be transferred or transferred, in whole or in part, the rights and obligations under these Terms and Conditions.
Divisibility. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions (or any part thereof) or the application of such provision (or any part thereof) to any Person or circumstance is held to be invalid, illegal or unfeasible in any respect by a competent governmental authority such invalidity, illegality or unfeasibility shall not affect any other provision of these Terms and Conditions. In such a case, PICTOLINE will replace that provision (or any part thereof) with a provision that is valid, legal and enforceable.
Applicable Law and Jurisdiction. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by, construed and enforced in accordance with applicable federal law in Mexico. PICTOLINE's decisions are final and binding on all aspects of this Contest.
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
The data provided by the Contestants will be treated confidentially and collected in an automated file of personal data, being PICTOLINE responsible for said file, with the aim of:
- Manage the participation of the contestants and contact them.
- Inform them that they have won the Contest.
PICTOLINE guarantees full compliance with the Federal Law on the Protection of Personal Data in Possession of Individuals, in the processing of the personal data collected in the BIENAL OF ILLUSTRATION CONTEST, especially with regard to the attention of the exercise of the rights of information, access, rectification, opposition and cancellation of personal data of the contestants.
More information about the Privacy Notice contestants will be able to contact bienaldeilustracion.com
ON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Contestants and winners will license the use of their illustrations to PICTOLINE MEDIA SAPI DE C.V. and its affiliates or subsidiaries by entering into a License Agreement for Use, in which the terms and scopes of the same will be defined.
The Contestants guarantee to PICTOLINE MEDIA SAPI DE C.V. that the illustration submitted to the Jury does not belong to or has belonged in whole or in part to a different person. Therefore, you are responsible for any liability that may arise for invasion of third party rights and if verified you agree that you will be automatically disqualified.
Without prejudice to the foregoing, any behavior that PICTOLINE considers to be apparently abusive and/or malicious, especially those involving the intellectual property of third parties, shall be understood as fraud. The finding of any of these practices will imply the definitive disqualification of the Competition.
PICTOLINE reserves the right to take legal action against those persons who perform any type of act likely to be considered as manipulation or forgery in the Competition.
ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Participation in the Contest implies acceptance of these Terms and Conditions. Any manifestation of non-acceptance of all or part of the Same will imply the exclusion of the Contestant and, as a result, PICTOLINE will be relieved of the fulfillment of the obligation contestant.
The protection of the data will be done in accordance with Mexican laws.